unclug - [unclug] ITS Knowledgebase

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Adam Constabaris <adamc AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [unclug] ITS Knowledgebase
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:02:48 -0400

Good stuff! I know it comes up every three months or so, but it sure would be nice to have some collaborative space where "unofficial" but helpful documents of this nature could be stored, as a starting point.

It so happens my day job is maintaining the ITS knowledgebase (http://help.unc.edu), which is a system for distributed authoring and publication of DocBook documents. I'd be happy to take some documents like Tim's and make them available through help.unc.edu (and elsewhere: details available upon request), if the authors are willing.

AC

TDan Blanchette wrote:
I've been connecting to isis.unc.edu using AFS on my Ubuntu
(linux 2.6) box since December 2005. A former co-worker of
mine Tim Chagnon figured out how to install it and created
a how-to webpage. Since he is no longer a UNC-CH employee
I feared his page would get wacked sometime, so I stole it:
http://www.unc.edu/~danb/openafs_ubuntu.html

I've recently upgraded my Ubuntu kernal to 2.6.15-23-386
from 2.6.10 (Ubuntu 6.06) which, of course trashed my AFS install. But I was able to re-install it using Tim's page and I have edited
this page to show how I think I got it to run.

http://www.unc.edu/~danb/openafs_ubuntu.html

HTH,

Dan Blanchette

ITS Research Computing
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Dan_Blanchette AT unc.edu