unclug - Re: [unclug] Weird problem with FC4-5

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Liyun Yu <yu AT radonc.unc.edu>
  • To: alanh AT unc.edu, UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Weird problem with FC4-5
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:55:44 -0400

Just several thoughts:
1) Did you tried on different login, not only root, on this box?
2) Usually if there were some customization on .xsession file, that might cause some issues on X windows login
3) can you ssh to it, then use ps command to see what was hanging there - with which user/login? Sometime that might reveal some threads on what was going on...
4) Check the cron job list if you have created something there
5) Always consult your /var/log for further details

Thanks,

Liyun Yu

Alan Hoyle wrote:

Hey all,

I had been having a problem with FC4 locking up overnight so I tried
upgrading to FC5, but the problems have continued. Sometimes, I'll be
able to log in after a looooong delay, and running programs, but I
don't see any particular program generating load, zombie processes or
memory usage...Sometimes top reports large percentages of "wa" or "hi"
usage, but little other stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions?