unclug - Re: [unclug] building a kernel

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Faheem Mitha <faheem AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] building a kernel
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:57:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Cristobal Palmer wrote:

I'm trying to build a 2.6.12 kernel with PCMCIA support, ACPI, and support
for a Prism2.5 chipset wireless card for my ThinkPad T30 (CCI from 2002).
Any suggestions or thoughts?

Hi Cristobal,

Since I know you use Debian, why not just use the Debian 2.6.12 stock kernels, just released into unstable? Note that if you are using udev, then you'll need to use the version of udev released into unstable.

Otherwise, of course, compile with kernel-package.

BTW, is there some reason to use 2.6.12 instead of the 2.6.8 released with sarge?

Also, are you aware that Debian has some Thinkpad specific drivers for Thinkpads? Try

apt-cache search thinkpad

Also, note that module-assistant is a nifty (and easy) way to compile modules.

BTW, you'd get more replies on a Debian-specific forum.

Faheem.