unclug - Re: [unclug] LaTeX help?

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Fred Stutzman <fred AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] LaTeX help?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:56:40 -0500 (EST)

Hand coding latex? I'm impressed.

I used Lyx, a nice frontend for latex. It's quite easy to use, and it supports a clickable interface for building equations.

http://lyx.org

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Cristobal Palmer wrote:

I had the bright idea of turning in my Discrete Math homework as
neatly-printed LaTeX documents instead of pen-and-paper.

If you want to see my actual problem, look below. Suffice it to say that I
gave up after about an hour and a half of googling and www.tug.org
browsing, and was wondering if anybody either knew the answer or could
suggest another reference.

I got stuck trying to get $x\not{\in}B$ to render correctly. It should
look like an epsilon with a slash through it, but LaTeX doesn't seem to
realize how big the "Is an element of" character is, so the slash doesn't
go through the middle.

-CMP

P.S.

I'm actually using pdflatex. Don't think this makes a difference, but...
/me shrugs.

Cristobal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS
cmpalmer AT ils.unc.edu