unclug - Re: [unclug] UNC campus Red Hat site license question

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "John W. Sopko Jr." <sopko AT cs.unc.edu>
  • To: andy_ingham AT unc.edu, UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] UNC campus Red Hat site license question
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:57:03 -0400

Andy Ingham wrote:

Folks --

I'm getting some conflicting information about the *level* of the entitlements that come via the UNC campus Red Hat licenses. Since a bunch of folks are already using the licenses, can someone tell me if the license entitles you to just the "update" module via RHN or additionally the "management" module via RHN.

When you use the campus account you are getting a basic user account, you lose the admin account. An account is created for you and you are put in a system group for your department. So you lose the ability to create groups but you still have the other management funtionality.

We currently have a dozen ES and WS licenses directly from RH (purchased 11/03) that include the "management" component. Yes, the price is *much* better with the campus agreement, but having to step back from the management capabilities would be unfortunate.

[BTW, as ES is not covered by the site license, we may be doing some ES > AS migrations. According to RH tech support, it is a straightforward process. I obviously haven't tried it yet, though. Let me know if anyone is interested in the steps I was told to take.]

Yes, we have one ES system we bought in Dec 2003, as far as I can tell
ES and AS are the same except for marketing and licensing. I want to
make my ES system an AS system, I figured there was some config file
changes and then maybe delete the rhn account and re-register. I would
appreciate the steps.

So...

Are the "management" features available via the campus licenses?

TIA,
Andy

Andy Ingham
Systems Librarian