unclug - [unclug] UNC campus Red Hat site license question

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Andy Ingham <ingham AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [unclug] UNC campus Red Hat site license question
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:58:53 -0400

Folks --

I'm getting some conflicting information about the *level* of the entitlements that come via the UNC campus Red Hat licenses. Since a bunch of folks are already using the licenses, can someone tell me if the license entitles you to just the "update" module via RHN or additionally the "management" module via RHN.

We currently have a dozen ES and WS licenses directly from RH (purchased 11/03) that include the "management" component. Yes, the price is *much* better with the campus agreement, but having to step back from the management capabilities would be unfortunate.

[BTW, as ES is not covered by the site license, we may be doing some ES > AS migrations. According to RH tech support, it is a straightforward process. I obviously haven't tried it yet, though. Let me know if anyone is interested in the steps I was told to take.]

So...

Are the "management" features available via the campus licenses?

TIA,
Andy

Andy Ingham
Systems Librarian