unclug - [unclug] Unstable RedHat 9 machine

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: James Jordan <jwjordan AT bme.unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [unclug] Unstable RedHat 9 machine
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:02:22 -0400

I have an unstable RedHat 9 machine acting as my department's primary mail server and DNS server. Obviously, having this machine crash on a *weekly* basis is unacceptable, and I'm at my wits end trying to figure this one out. I notice that while no log shows any kinds of errors (that I can find that is), the console occasionally shows this error: "svc: short len 2, dropping request". Suffice it to say, I have no idea what this means, and Google didn't help. Does anyone have any idea where I should start, or something specific to look for? I can say that all this instability seems to have started (though I can be 100% sure) with the replacement of the hard drive after a HD failure. However, I have run hdparm with numerous options trying to rule out hardware problems, and I haven't seen any errors thus far. I am running the latest kernel before RedHat moved to EL. Thanks for any light you can shed on this!

--
James Jordan
Systems Administrator