unclug - Re: [unclug] Red Hat Licensing for UNC-CH

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: ctc AT listserv.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Red Hat Licensing for UNC-CH
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:18:52 -0500

Since there has been much discussion of hosting the RHEL proxy server at
ibiblio, I talked to both a sales engineer at RH and one of their policy
folks. We would, in addition to the proxy server, host a kickstart
server to facilitate installation.

The kickstart server is merely a web & ftp server with the RHEL software
distribution trees and would be restricted by IP address. A little
coordination with the various UNC campus network admins should help sort
this out. After the OS installation, the individual server or
workstation registers with the proxy server via SSL certificate. The
up2date client pulls updates from the proxy server (over http or https,
I think).

It's not clear how the up2date registration is handled. I assume that
there's a mechanism in the proxy server software that validates a client
server/workstation certificate for service. But I don't know if RH
extends all admin authority to the proxy server manager or not. It's
possible that we'd have an automated process for getting each
installation validated from RH. I suspect that, just as we're not
supposed to abuse other software license agreements, we'd be on our
honor to distinguish between personal computers and UNC-owned computers.

Thanks,

-jrr