unclug - Re: [unclug] Red Hat Licensing for UNC-CH

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: "David B. Rankin" <david.rankin AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Red Hat Licensing for UNC-CH
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:46:31 -0500

Scott. In "FTE" count are we counting every business desktop in the department *or* only the business desktops that will need to run Linux?

Scott Adams wrote:

UNC General Administration has come up with a contract with Red Hat for
licensing of RHL 3 AS and WS. By Feb 25th we will need to submit a total
count of licenses needed from UNC-CH to add to this list. The price will
be $6.50 for each "FTE" where FTE in this particular case stands for
Departmentally owned machine. Though probably not typical in definition,
this is what was agreed. With this pricing scheme and understanding of
FTE's, this is a "doable" situation for UNC-CH.
Please notice that the typical educational pricing is $25 for WS and $50
for AS. Please also note that this situation would allow our faculty, staff,
and
students access for PERSONALLY owned machines without charge to them.

At present ATN is counting the number that they might need from
their various machines. Other departments and organizations though will
need to be counted too.
(For better or worse) I am going to try and get a "future and current
need" count of RHL 3 WS and AS licenses.
If you could respond to this email by Monday 12PM then I will submit the
number to UNC software acquisitions / ATN or wherever it needs to
specifically go.

Please send me the following:
Contact name:
Department: