unclug - Re: [unclug] Backup Solution

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Brian Payst <brian_payst AT unc.edu>
  • To: Hugh Crissman <hcrissma AT email.unc.edu>
  • Cc: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Backup Solution
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:44:07 -0500

rsync might just do it for you. Here's a good tutorial on doing it with snapshots.

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

Hugh Crissman wrote:

I am trying to build a backup solution for a small home network (3 systems total; 1 WinXP; 1 Gentoo Linux; and 1 RHEL 3). I have a large hard drive (160 Gb) on the RH system that will store all backup info. I want to setup an automated and reliable daily backup to the RH system. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have looked at AMANDA and tar/cron jobs but I am not sure if either are really what I am looking for. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hugh Crissman