unclug - Re: [unclug] WEP

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: Cristobal M Palmer <cmpalmer AT email.unc.edu>
  • Cc: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] WEP
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:10:10 -0500

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Cristobal M Palmer wrote:

I'm running Debian GNU/Linux (testing/Sarge), and I can't for the life of
me figure out how to get WEP working.

My dad has an Apple Airport 802.11b network that my compie ("Socrates")
talks to nicely, and the folks in the apartment immediately above me are
nice enough to allow me access to their Linksys WAP, so I'm left
scratching my head as to why

# iwconfig eth1 essid "UNC-1"
# iwconfig eth1 key XXXX-XXXX-XX restricted
# iwconfig eth1 key on
# ifup eth1

fails so miserably here on campus.

When I did the above, I got an error message that kept posting ERROR
-16:issuing command blah blah blah

and wouldn't go away with ^z.

:-/

I'm hoping there's someone who kept reading after "Debian GNU/Linux"

:-P

Maybe somebody can help?

Thanks.

.--.
|o_o |
||_/ |
Peace, // \ \
(| | )

What type NIC are you using? I seem to vaguely recall some success using the Cisco card and their configuration utility (yeah, they actually made one for Linux!) Don't know if its still available though...

Jeff