unclug - [unclug] Linux DNS/DHCP question....

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Joel Dunn <joel_dunn AT unc.edu>
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [unclug] Linux DNS/DHCP question....
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:06:17 -0500

Guys & Gals, every now and then I get to take off my manager hat and put on a techie hat, even if it's in support of my own personal LAN at home. My user community (i.e. family) can be demanding customers.

I've got a Toshiba server appliance (SG10), which runs RH6.1, as my internet gateway. Been using this for 18 months and it's very nifty and *much* better than a basic SOHO router :-). Sometimes I use it's web-based config interface, and sometimes I do things the "old fashioned" way. However, I don't get technical often enough and the management stuff crowds out the technical bits in my brain.

Here's the scoop. Roadrunner changed their DNS servers this week (in the early morning of the 7th). I've got my gateway set up for DHCP so when RR changes things (i.e. IP address) that works fine, although they don't do that often -- I've had the same IP address for over a year. However, when they changed DNS, my system didn't adjust things. After some mental fumbling, I remembered /etc/resolv.conf, and changed the DNS servers (got the #'s from a neighbor with a Linksys which *did* pick up the change). Things still didn't work until I finally remembered (last night) that I was running a caching named, and after I changed /etc/named.conf and restarted named, things were hunky-dory again.

So....my question is, Oh Linux Gurus, should my system have noticed the DNS change *without* an IP address change/lease expiration? Why do the Linksys-type boxes pick up those changes?

An ancillary question...in the back of my mind, I remember that UNC now does not allow DNS references from the outside world, right, due to attacks last summer? So I can't use the UNC DNS facilities...right?

--

+ Joel Dunn
+ joel_dunn AT unc.edu