unclug - Re: [unclug] Today's meeting

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: John Reuning <john AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "David B. Rankin" <david.rankin AT unc.edu>
  • Cc: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] Today's meeting
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 17:59:40 -0500

Individual licenses can be purchased; however, there's added value in
buying the base package. First, students, faculty, & staff can install
RHEL on personal systems for no additional fee. And second, the proxy
server allows UNC to customize management options, which I don't think
you can do with individual licenses.

According to this table, custom update channels is among the added
options.

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhn/management/table/

Finally, wasn't there was a bad security issue with the previous license
setup with RH? Something like anyone with the UNC RHN login info could
trigger other departments' systems to reboot or not update packages
correctly.

Thanks,

-jrr