typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] 1. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine writers, 1975-1984 (WWWhatsup)

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Sharon Cheslow <decomposition AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music \(Circa 1975-1980s\)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] 1. Re: Callout for female fanzine UK fanzine writers, 1975-1984 (WWWhatsup)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 17:10:28 -0800

I'm really loving this thread...

I would be very interested in tracking down Crystal and Sarah who did
More On and Sharon Spike who did Apathy in Ilford.

Cazz, you might want to interview Julie Davis and Virginia Boston for leads. They authored two early UK zine-like punk books (I bought these when they came out) - maybe you've already seen them, but if not you might be able to find them in a library:

-Punk by Julie Davis, 1977
http://www.amazon.com/Punk-Julie-Davis/dp/0860000982
This has lots of Lucy Toothpaste contributions (Slits and X-Ray Spex interviews, influential piece titled "Girl Bands," and another on punk & racism/fascism), Sharon Spike's Slits live review, Jane Suck's Siouxsie interview, and photos by Erica Echenberg. I'm pretty sure some of these contributions are reprints from zines. Someone named Sex Ade contributed - don't know who that is.

-Punk Rock by Virginia Boston, 1978 http://www.amazon.com/Punk-Rock-Virgina-Boston/dp/0140049851
This has quotes from lots of zine writers, with some small images of zine covers. The only ones by women are More On by Sarah in London, and White Stuff by Sandy Robertson in Scotland. If Sex Ade is female, she's quoted from her zine New Wave.

Also, if you haven't done this already, and can make it to the U.S., you could take a look at Johan Kugelberg's Punk Collection, 1974-86 archive at Cornell Univ. There are a lot of zines, including some early UK ones edited by women. At the very least, check out the online finding aid:
http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/EAD/htmldocs/RMM08060.html

good luck with your research!
Sharon