typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] C.L.I.T. Fest PDX/ Free to Fight??

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Lisa <lisahinton AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] C.L.I.T. Fest PDX/ Free to Fight??
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:17:56 -0700

hey! just wanted to spread the word about a fest going down in Portland, Oregon August 12-15. It's called C.L.I.T. Fest (Combating Latent Inequality Together) and has been passed from city to city over the past few years to address sexism, homophobia, and transphobia in punk and to celebrate the strengths and potential in our community.

you can find out more info here: clitfestpdx.wordpress.com

Also, we're trying to track down anyone who was involved with Free to Fight. We're putting together a workshop with that name. Here's the pending description:

Free to Fight
The name is in homage to the interactive self-defense project that released a double lp and booklet and went on tour in the mid '90s. During this short hour, a panel will talk about various projects (zines, labels, collectives, etc.) from the past and present that formed to address oppression and identity in punk.  People will also speak to how these projects have used punk to combat mainstream culture, daily oppression, and carve out a place for themselves in the world, as well as, talk about lessons learned from these projects.

Please get in touch (clitfestpdx AT gmail.com) if you have any leads or want to get involved.

Thanks!

Lisa