typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] VenusZine revamp--thoughts?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Dina Hornreich <dina.hornreich AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] VenusZine revamp--thoughts?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:46:11 -0600

I am grateful to Amy Schroeder and the "old" Venus crew who gave me great opportunities to work as a writer. My pieces on Sharon Cheslow, Barbara Manning, and Linda Smith were all welcomed uniquely by Venus. My interests is that constellation of talented female musicians was nurtured. I don't think that group of women is going away...

Now, I am just very ambivalent about the new directions suggested in this article. Yes, I realize it isn't the 90s anymore, but It's hard to envision Venus morphing into something that shies completely away from using the word Feminist. It's not just about indie cred for me. It's about that welcoming celebratory non-judgmental spirit I felt a part of.

(SIGH)

Anyone else just get their copy of Pink Noises (http:// www.pinknoises.com/pn_book.html) in the mail?

-Dina