typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] New Slits

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: J Neo Marvin <j_n_e_o AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] New Slits
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:34:21 -0800

I brought this up a little while ago, but no one said anything.

Having listened a bit more:

It SOUNDS great. The new lineup has a style of their own that encompasses all the old sounds of the original band and throws in dancehall as well. Adrian Sherwood gives several songs a nice dub touch. It's way better than that EP a couple years back that was just Ari, Tessa, and various guests.

Then we have to deal with the new material. First song seems to be saying if a man mistreats you, it's all his mother's fault, not his. (Granted, I can't understand every word in Ari's Anglo-German-Jamaican patois, so I might be getting that wrong.) Second song has Ari telling her guy to go ahead and fuck her in her sleep. Don't try this at home, kids.

Ari is Ari and you gotta love her for being so thoroughly herself, but she might not be the best source of good advice available, let's just say. Meanwhile Viv Albertine has suddenly resurfaced with a ton of amazing new songs, so it's not surprising that the Typical Girls are more excited about what she's doing now.

-J Neo Marvin
http://www.live365.com/stations/jneomarvin
http://earcandleproductions.blogspot.com