typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] ...your heart out #4

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Chuck Warner <chuck AT hyped2death.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] ...your heart out #4
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:02:02 -0500

I've just spent most of my morning picking through the newest (and best) issue of ...your heart out, Kevin Pearce's extraordinary pdf fanzine.

#4 deals with Sun Ra (nominally), Kevin's usual enthusiasms for less classifiable bits of 60s and 70s jazz (especially women singers), and a really thoughtful primer on the earliest collisions/collusions between punk and disco. Along the way there are detours for a page or two each on Orange Juice, Y Records, Mo-Dettes, Lotti Golden, Catherine Ribiero, and Samia Farah. Everything's presented a bit stream-of-consciousness, but it's insightful/scholarly all the while, and laudably free of hipster pose (no offence).

download it here
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnNlbmRzcGFjZS5jb20vZmlsZS9vbGhwdGE=
but watch out for pop-up ads if you download other issues - some anti-virus software company fakes a scan of your hard-drive (laughable if you've got a Mac) and tells you you're infected and need their service: look for a continue your download link at the upper right and ignore the ad... and enjoy the zine!

Did I mention that I lost HOURS this morning tracking YouTube samples of all the unknowns (to me) that Kevin mentioned?
--
Chuck Warner
Hyped to Death CDs/Messthetics