typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] The History of No Wave and New York Post Punk By Thurston Moore & Byron Coley

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] The History of No Wave and New York Post Punk By Thurston Moore & Byron Coley
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:40:52 -0400

http://www.thespacelab.tv/spaceLAB/2008/06June/MusicNews-15-NoWave.htm

The History of No Wave and New York Post Punk By Thurston Moore & Byron Coley

By: Spacelab Research Staff

Who could tell the history of how the no wave scene
started in New YorK? Enter Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth,
a band that was there when it was happening. He's teamed
up with writer Byron Coley to complete No Wave:Post-Punk.
Underground. New York. 1976-1980. It's a comprehensive
look at the scene and its fundamentals. It includes
photographs, art, and interviews as a way to convey the
scene.

It cites influences and scene members like Glenn Branca,
Lydia Lunch, James Chance, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Jim
Jarmusch and more as part of the NY underground that gave
birth to one the cities most interesting and eclectic
movements of the 70's/80's.

David Bowie weighs in with "Moore and Coley wade into the
mire that was No Wave and pull all kinds of order into it,
if that could be possible. I've never been part of a
scene, though if I were I might have opted for this one."

The book will be published by Abrams Image Books on June
1st

video:
http://www.thespacelab.tv/spaceLAB/2008/06June/SpacelabMediaPlayer-Video-14-NoWave.htm

facebook page: