typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Ebony Bones

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: WWWhatsup <joly AT punkcast.com>
  • To: Typical Girls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Ebony Bones
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 01:53:16 -0400

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=804&fid1=31631

Ebony Bones
"Don't Fart On My Heart" / "We Know All About You"
5/27/2008 By Cam Lindsay

Though she dresses a little like a drag queen doing Charo's
fruit headdress phase, describes herself as "Harry Potter
with a vagina" and has a single called, er, "Don't Fart On
My Heart" (really), Ebony Bones (nee Thomas) is actually a
pretty fly gal. And people – Timbaland, Basement Jaxx,
Jarvis Cocker, Grace Jones (!) - are taking note of this
former soap star (Britain's Family Affairs), who's quickly
following in the footsteps of another soap alum, Ms. Kylie
Minogue.

But despite the BBC airplay and obvious pop star potential,
the comparisons to Kylie stop there. Ebony is a child of
post-punk, oddly enough, cutting her teeth on the robust
sounds of Liquid Liquid, Siouxsie and the Slits (whose Ari
Up reportedly requested to perform with Bones). The
bewilderingly titled "Don't Fart On My Heart" sounds a lot
like Bow Wow Wow V3.0, with the same tribal drum blast that
made them stars with "I Want Candy," and a fearless vocal
that makes Annabella Lwin sound like lil jailbait, which I
guess she was back in their day. Never mind. Most
impressive of all is, even though it is in the chorus,
Ebony makes you oblivious to the absurdity of the song's
title, thanks to its feral nature.

WWWhatsup NYC

  • [TypicalGirls] Ebony Bones, WWWhatsup, 05/28/2008