typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] strings

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Sara Sherr" <sarasherr AT gmail.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] strings
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:17:43 -0400

I played viola in high school (long before I knew about John Cale, I
just thought it sounded cool in assembly. It was my second choice to
saxophone, which my orthodontist nixed). Most of the string section
was female and when we'd do events with other high schools, it was the
same thing. It wasn't until I started going to The Phila Orchestra
peformances on field trips where I noticed the string sections were 90
percent male. I don't follow the classical scene at all, but it seems,
more often than not, that string sections and soloists are frequently
male dominated. (Perhaps a classical expert on the list can clarify).
Don't know if things are different in the UK.

Anyway, it's interesting in the rock world, that all the women who
didn't join orchestras form punk bands.

My two cents.

  • [TypicalGirls] strings, Sara Sherr, 06/20/2007