typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Pearl Harbor & the Explosions

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: jhubbard <jhubbard AT ucsc.edu>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Pearl Harbor & the Explosions
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:10:34 -0700

actually, rhino has the album /don't follow me, I'm lost too, /which I think is better. these are three minute topical (the dentist, homework, , throw away songs each with an edge, a hook, and a serious bounce. the cover of "fujiyama mama" reworks the cultural stereotype that founds that song, but holds the musical influence -- keeps the baby but not the bathwater.

remember subterranean records and those SF (all women) bands like wilma and frightwig
/
/
/

/Dina Hornreich wrote:
Amazon only lists this item:
Pearl Harbor & the Explosions -- it looks like a self-titled best of collection from Collector's Choice.
Here are the tracks:
1. Drivin'
2. You Got It (Release It)
3. Don't Come Back
4. Keep Going
5. Shut Up And Dance
6. Big One
7. So Much For Love
8. (Get A) Grip (On Yourself)
9. Up And Over
Please give me your rationale (aka "blurbiage") if you want me to include it!
Thanks...
-Dina