typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Goldie, Lora and religion in punk

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: mike AT appelstein.com
  • To: pascaleamz AT yahoo.com, typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Goldie, Lora and religion in punk
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:14:50 -0500

Lora, unfortunately, seems to be embarrassed about her Jewish heritage. I attempted to interview her through the mail a few years back, and the moment I started asking questions about whether she was raised Jewish, I never heard from her again. (She did send me Hare Krishna pamphlets, though - which I keep next to the Jack Chick comics I took from Palmolive's church!)

Perhaps it's more of a family thing than a religious thing, given the below. Certainly the lyrics she wrote for Essential Logic are full of mocking rejection of her upbringing.

-Mike

Lora Logic's father was a German Jew. Her mother was
Finnish, but not Jewish, I believe. I don't recall
her talking of having any sort of religious
upbringing; her father changed her name to appear less
Jewish (or more English, I suppose, depending on how
one looks at it.) They were fairly well-off (or at
least solidly upper-middle class), and 'indulged' Lora
her musical career to they extent that they saw it as
a temporary diversion from school, not a real thing.
Lora always seemed embarrassed by her parents and one
could easily follow this thread through many of her
songs, which seem to detail parental failings and
problems in a highly obscured but still rather obvious
manner.

- Pascale