typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] Goldie, Lora and religion in punk

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: pascale amzallou <pascaleamz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] Goldie, Lora and religion in punk
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:43:27 -0700 (PDT)

The real name of Genya is Genyusha Zelkowitz, and I
recall an interview with her wherein she claimed to
have been born the day before the war (WWII, that is)
ended. I'd love to hear that story - obviously, her
folks were Jewish (and Polish) and survived the
Holocaust by making it to some sort of Russian refugee
camp. Technically, I guess, Genya survived the
Holocaust only as an unborn child, but still - what a
feat! I guess her parents had tremendous survival
guilt (the rest of their relatives all perished) and
that reality affected Genya in many ways. I have one
1967 track by Goldie & the Gingerbreads. It's called
"Walking In Different Circles" and is on the Ace CD,
"Where The Girls Are, Volume 4," which compiles girl
group hits (this volume focuses on the Atlantic
label.) It's a good track - soul rockin' inna Dusty
Springfield stylee. And it sounds like a 'real' band,
not a studio concoction.

Goldie & the Gingerbreads signed to Atlantic, as far
as I can discern, in 1964 - six years before Fanny
signed to a major. I reckon there were *many* other
all-female bands to sign to majors before Fanny (I can
think of a few), but none as early as G & the G's, as
far as I know.

Lora Logic's father was a German Jew. Her mother was
Finnish, but not Jewish, I believe. I don't recall
her talking of having any sort of religious
upbringing; her father changed her name to appear less
Jewish (or more English, I suppose, depending on how
one looks at it.) They were fairly well-off (or at
least solidly upper-middle class), and 'indulged' Lora
her musical career to they extent that they saw it as
a temporary diversion from school, not a real thing.
Lora always seemed embarrassed by her parents and one
could easily follow this thread through many of her
songs, which seem to detail parental failings and
problems in a highly obscured but still rather obvious
manner.

- Pascale

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail