typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Rough Trade launch digital store

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Jason Gross <perfect AT furious.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Rough Trade launch digital store
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:29:40 -0500

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:20:05 -0500
From: mike AT appelstein.com

ah, but will they have the actual early RT catalogue? what a coup
that would be.

As nice as that would be, there's several problems with that.

Previously, RT hasn't had any interest in reissues of late 70s/early 80s bands and didn't even have the tapes for the material anymore- these facts might be related but they also understandably maintained that they wanted to spend their time supporting their more recent acts.

RT also maintained that the rights to the material reverted back to the bands so they would now have to have re-negotiate the rights for all that material with the bands and the new labels that reissued their material (i.e. Kill Rock Stars, Acute, Les Disques, whoever Stiff Little Fingers works with now, etc.) if RT want to sell it now.

There's still plenty of things from that same time period waiting for reissuing but I don't know if that's exactly what RT is interested in though I do hope so. I know that RT is still close to Green/Scritti though and they may have interest in having some of the mid/late 80s material come out again.

Best,
Jason

P.S. Since someone else asked about it, Paul Cook's daughter Polly is a back-up singer in the new Slits band.

Perfect Sound Forever- online music magazine since 1993- now new and semi-improved!
<http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>
MySpace Page: <http://www.myspace.com/perfectsoundmagazine>
Crazed by the Music blog: <http://blogs.popmatters.com/crazedbythemusic/>