typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] swiss news: Punk Cocktail

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Nicole Emmenegger <nicole AT jennywoolworth.ch>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: sarracenia.81 AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] swiss news: Punk Cocktail
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:21:13 +0200

Title: Re: swiss news: Punk Cocktail

The film premiere was great! Me and my friends were among the youngest in the cinema, taking part in this class renunion of sorts.

Just to be clear, Punk Cocktail is not a straight ahead documentary, there are no interviews and the live super 8 video footage is without sound. Instead the images are matched with a soundtrack of recorded songs from the bands. There is various footage of Kleenex, from their first ever gig in March 1978 at Club Hey as well as a performance outdoors in a stripped tent (great backdrop). There are also super fun pieces from Mother’s Ruin, as well as live footage of TNT, videos from Grauzone and lots more. Highly recommended!

My next radio show, Tiger Beat, on Radio LoRa in Zürich, will be dedicated to Swiss girls of punk from the 70s and 80s. With the help of some old school Züri punks I re-discovered a storehouse of songs and bands from the era, including some rare and special tracks. Air date is Monday, October 23, 22.00-24.00 CET. Outside of Zürich you can tune in on-line at www.lora.ch/webradio.php or download the mp3 podcast on my website a few days later (www.jennywoolworth.ch). I’m looking to invite one or the other scenesters from the time, we’ll see who I can rope into the studio...

The next big event is the premiere of Lurker Grand’s 300+ page book “Hot Love: Swiss Punk and Wave 1976-1980.” It will be available for sale at the beginning of November directly from the website www.swisspunk.ch.

Also an eight song LP “Schizo Terrorist” from the former Geneva band The Bastards is planned for release at the end of October, featuring previously unheard studio and live recordings from 1977. The Bastards featured a punkette named Marie-Pierre on vocals. Again check swisspunk.ch for ordering info...

That’s the news from this corner of the world, quite a hum of activity at the moment!

xo Nicole