typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 91, Issue 5

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Timothy Sasscer <sasscer1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 91, Issue 5
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 05:27:00 -0500

My vote is that the list description is fine the way it is. Adding sub genres would be a slippery slope indeed, and it would only get more so. And to what advantage? Although if pressed, I would say post-punk/no wave are defining eras of my musical taste, one of the delights of being in a community such as this is having my horizons widened by others' ideas of who and what that may constitute, not to mention details and history of those I know, but didn't know well enough.

Which leads me to...

One of my college delights was the first Au Pairs album, and it seems over time critical consensus has relegated them to a more peripheral role than say Raincoats or Siouxsie (who I only "like", although she has the edge chronologically). Any critical reviews/insights/stray thoughts into this would make my day far from "Typical"....

And whatever happened to the insightful, delightful, knowledgeable poster known to me as Sarah Jane, from London?

Tim

  • Re: [TypicalGirls] TypicalGirls Digest, Vol 91, Issue 5, Timothy Sasscer, 03/03/2006