typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] cinderella's big score

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: maria tessa sciarrino <maria AT plainparade.org>
  • To: typicalgirls <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] cinderella's big score
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:32:05 -0500

I was at the bookstore by work a couple weeks ago, and spotted this book. I
wasn¹t too sure if it was brand new or not, but its clear that its somewhat
contemporary by the fact that erase errata is the last band covered [in its
own chapter]. I read the jenny toomey chapter [which talks about
tsunami/simple machines and ends with her first solo record]. Being a big
fan of jenny's, the book covers everything you need to know -- im sure the
rest of the book is equally informative!

Cant wait until pay day to pick it up!

Has anyone else read it? Thoughts?

-m.

On 1/31/05 4:36 PM, "Untiednations AT aol.com" <Untiednations AT aol.com> wrote:

> i just got the book "cinderella's big score" as a present, and from what
> i've
> read so far i highly recommend it. each band/person has their own chapter,
> which means that there's less lumping-together of certain bands and more of
> sense of the distinct identity of each... the slits chapter has great quotes
> i'd never seen before, and the raincoats one is wonderful since it's hard to
> find any real information about them on the internet. the great big lydia
> lunch chapter has some really intelligent quotes and anecdotal tidbits...
>
> basically, it has enough basic information but doesn't get boring for those
> who've already searched for all the trivia. and it does what most books
> that
> mention "women in punk" don't: actually describe the MUSIC. since it's
> narrowed down further (more so than books about punk or books about female
> musicians), the author seems to really know what she's talking about and
> doesn't make generalizations. and if anyone can appreciate that, it's the
> people on this list!

  • Re: [TypicalGirls] cinderella's big score, maria tessa sciarrino, 02/01/2005