typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] The Pipettes

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Larry-bob Roberts <larrybob AT io.com>
  • To: <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] The Pipettes
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:46:25 -0700

A friend of mine emailed me about a current British group, the Pipettes. He
was turned on to them by Alastair of http://www.tangents.co.uk who said

"Another reason for allowing The Jam back into my life: seeing The Pipettes
in Bristol Friday night (the ruled, of course) and afterwards Liz said that
the band sounded a bit like The Jam ­ a bit Power Pop, a bit (post) Punk, a
bit '60s Moderninst, and yeah, she's right. The Pipettes are like The Jam
backing Dolly Mixture, The Chantelles. The Orchids (the '60s girl group, not
the '80s indie geniuses) or the Rev-Lons. Fucking ACE whichever way you look
at it..."

Their website is http://www.thepipettes.co.uk

I downloaded some MP3s [couldn't find them on the site, but I found some
elsewhere] and I'm blown away... They sound very much like Dolly Mixture.

Larry
larrybob AT io.com

  • [TypicalGirls] The Pipettes, Larry-bob Roberts, 10/01/2004