typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Women in Glam/Glitter Scene?

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: Evan Davies <evandavies AT yahoo.com>
  • To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Women in Glam/Glitter Scene?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:59:57 -0700 (PDT)

> Zenda Jacks is one of these people (her stuff hasn't appeared on the
> compilations, though)... She had a single called "Rub my tummy" which I

That song is on a comp called Clap Your Hands, Stamp Your Feet, which is one
of the other comps of relatively obscure glam that have come out in the past
year+. In addition to that and the aforementioned Velvet Tinmine, look out
for Glitterbest and Satin Dustbin and I think you'll be covered on the "glam
nuggets" front. Although I can't recall any other female artists on those
comps. And personally, while "Rub My Tummy" is a fun, cute song it doesn't
sound that glammy to me personally.

In addition to Suzi Quatro, of course, the only other name that comes to mind
right away is Polly Brown, who scored a modest hit in the mid-70s with the
great "Up In A Puff Of Smoke."

For some current female glam practitioners, check out the Sirens:
http://thesirensdetroit.com/

Evan
http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/ED