treq-nm - Re: [TREQ-NM] Rio del Oso

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: "Debbie Spickermann" <d_obermaier AT cybermesa.com>
  • To: "'Trail building equestrians of New Mexico'" <treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TREQ-NM] Rio del Oso
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:51:49 -0600

<Debbie wearing BCH hat>
I am delighted to announce the next clean-up for the Rio del Oso is
scheduled for the 17th of October. This message will go out separately to
the BCH and the Sierra Club so that it doesn't get held back. Officially, we
had one volunteer from the New Mexico Jeep Club, Miles and Mary from the
Espanola Ranger District, 7 volunteers from BCH, and a permitee (for cows in
this watershed) make up our volunteers for the event. <hat off>

As to your question, I don't think hand winches will be needed this next
go-round. The trash is not buried in the stream beds, thank goodness, but
along side and among the Cottonwoods and evergreens. It would be appreciated
if the date could once again be posted in the Horsemen's Voice.

I will again try to enlist the help of the permitee, since he was so kind as
to provide the dumptruck and backhoe for the event. I will work on Miles to
get that FS archeologist to accompany us so we can get a first-hand account
of the ruins of Cu'Owingeh.

In other news, there is a pack-in pack out event for the Continental Divide
Trail Alliance on Sept. 1-4 at the Los Pinos Trail Head located in the Cuba
District. Packers and trail workers will be stationed at the Circle A ranch.
(close to trailhead) You may camp or stay at ranch. Call 505-289-3350 for
reservations or accommodations. They will let you camp out on the property
or for around $15 night, stay in one the of bunkhouse rooms. The Los Pinos
trail is the access point to the western entrance of the San Pedro Parks
Wilderness and the CDT trail.

Many happy trails,

Debbie Spickermann, BCH