treq-nm - [TREQ-NM] May LRGC BCH Newsletter

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: <GENTLETAMER1 AT peoplepc.com>
  • Subject: [TREQ-NM] May LRGC BCH Newsletter
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 12:40:46 -0600

Back Country Horsemen of New Mexico                 May    2009

Lower Rio Grande Chapter                                                                   Newsletter

P.O. Box 445, Radium Springs, NM 88054

President:  Julie Basile, Pat Buls, gentletamer1 AT peoplepc.com rjbasile AT zianet.com

V.P.:  Don Patterson,   donpat AT zianet.com

Secretary:  Joyce Getrost, jgetrost AT hotmail.com

Website:  http://lowerriogrande.bchnm.org

BCHNM:  http://www.bchnm.org

BCHA:   www.backcountryhorse.com

PRESIDENT’S PROSE

I hope this finds all our members feelin’ fine and frisky -- spring is here and there’s lots of work to be done!  We have a full schedule of projects for this spring, and we’ll spend the summer getting to know the southeast corner of the Gila Wilderness.

April was a big bust due to the winds.  We had to postpone both of our planned rides, but we were invited to ride along with Tom Seay and his Best of America by Horseback troop.  I joined them at the Barbeque in Radium Springs, and Tom gave me a warm welcome, despite the fact that I had shattered his dream of riding the Continental Divide Trail last year.  (The logistics just didn’t fit the kind of production he does).  He introduced me to most of the riders in his group, including a couple of pig farmers who had never taken a vacation in their lives.  They both sported gray hair, so I’m figurin’ the vacation was long overdue, and despite the fact that the missus was a non-rider before this shindig, they’re hangin’ in there with the best of ‘em.  Tom confided that the wife had castrated over 80,000 pigs in her career and he was callin’ on her to settle any disputes along the trail.  Needless to say, it’s been a peaceful ride!

The good folks at Landmark Mercantile (at the Mesquite Exit off I-10) have offered all LRGC BCH members a 10% discount on everything (except feed) in their store.  They have a great selection of saddle pads, boots, vaccines, tack of all sorts, toys and much, much more.  Its well worth the short drive -- go pay ‘em a visit, and tell ‘em you’re a Back Country Horseman!!

I’ve listed a few new websites of interest at the end of the newsletter.  Cowboy Poet and Veterinarian Baxter Black helped establish the one entitled A Million Horses.  I encourage you to visit the site and take action to reverse the legislation banning horse slaughter.  These horses have nowhere to go, could serve a purpose, and would at least die a quick, merciful death as opposed to suffering starvation and abandonment.  Most of you reading this would choose euthanasia, but there are too many who won’t, and there are horses whose best purpose would be to become part of the food chain.

Joyce Getrost and I visited with our Black Range District Ranger Les Dufour last month and while at his office I picked up a copy of the official magazine of the National Forest Foundation.  It’s a very good read, and the NFF is a very good cause to support.  Take a look at their website, listed at the end of this newsletter.

Our new BCHNM State Director and LRGC member Carol Edmonds spent a week in April at the BCHA National Convention in Washington State.  She came back pumped up and excited about the ‘state of the nation’ of back country horsemen!  She’ll be giving us a full report at our May 21 meeting at Don Patterson’s house in Mesilla.  Don’t miss it!

Don Patterson and I attended a series of scoping meetings with the BLM concerning management of the Dona Ana Mountains.  Representatives of eight different user groups discussed their needs, desires, and theories on how we can all get along together.  The words “peace” and “quiet” came up frequently together, as some of the most desirable aspects of a trail user’s experience.  My concerns also brought forth safety.  Non-horsemen were somewhat astounded to learn the potential gymnastics a horse is capable of, and that they are considered “deadly weapons” by mounted patrol units. Bicyclers informed us that they travel at speeds 20 to 30 miles an hour on some mountain trails, which could cause big problems for horsemen.  They stated that once a trail is “set” in the Dona Ana Mountain terrain (hard packed after a few rains and bike use) there is very little impact cause by horses’ hooves.  However, it is my opinion that it is a horsemen’s best choice to ride cross-country and avoid the trails in this area, for safety reasons.  The BLM will now compose several management scenarios which will be presented for public comment before they decide on a policy for the Dona Anas.  There is a letter on this subject from the BCHA Chairman to the National Parks Regulations Manager on the BCHA website under “Alerts”.  Although it addresses the issue in relation to Wilderness, it covers some of the same problems we are dealing with.  All of the user groups at these BLM meetings were very willing to get along, share the trails, and accommodate each other as best we can.  I’m confident this area will remain one of our best resources for recreation in Dona Ana County.

The May 2 ride at Tonuco Mountain was enjoyed by seven members.  The geology on this mountain is stunning -- the ocotillos were blooming everywhere, and we enjoyed the scenery and camaraderie so much that we barely noticed the wind!  Take a look at the schedule and plan on joining us sometime soon -- we’re gearing up for the mountains by the end of the month.  See you there!

Minutes for April 2009 Meeting of BCHLRGC

Time and Location:  Thursday, April 16, 2009 at Don Patterson’s house

Attendees:  Joyce Getrost, Pat Buls, Don Patterson, Pat Ethridge

Next meeting: Thursday, May 21 at Don Patterson’s house

Business Meeting

President Pat Buls led a discussion on the details of the Rendezvous.  Items covered:

·         70 brow bands will be made for the participants.

·         Location for the Rendezvous is the Celebration campground.   Ken Poole is getting the information on port-a-potties.

·         The Thunderbird Camp Cook is confirmed to cater a dinner of brisket and chicken for Saturday night.

The geocaching gifts and schedule was discussed:

·         The Geocaching will take place after breakfast on Sunday morning.

·         Hoof picks will be the prize for as many participants as we have.

New Business:

Don Patterson suggested that we send a questionnaire with self-addressed stamped envelope to members and ex-members to determine what we can do to encourage more participation in our meetings, rides and work projects.  He will draft the questionnaire for our next meeting.

One suggestion already received was to hold the rides later in the day than 10:00 am.  We have scheduled May 2 ride to Tonuco for 11:00.  It is hoped more will be able to come.

Minutes Submitted by Joyce Getrost

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

All ride times to be understood as ready to ride at the specified time.  Call Pat Buls for last minute cancellation info if the weather looks bad:  575-571-0221 or Joyce Getrost: 575-639-2662

May 16:  Soledad Canyon Patrol, 10:00 am.

May 21:  LRGC Monthly Meeting, 6:30 pm at the home of Don Patterson.

Directions to Don Patterson's Place:  from Mesilla go west on Calle del Norte, cross river, take a left (west) on Mesilla Hills Dr., take a right on Kokopelli Lane, park at end of street.  Don's place is the second house on the left on Kokopelli Lane.  Do NOT drive up his driveway -- park at the bottom and walk up steps, go through courtyard to house.  Don's number is 527-4861.

May 22-24:  Fort Stanton trail marking project with Socorro Chapter.  Make camp on Friday, work on Saturday and Sunday morning, and return Sunday afternoon.

Directions:  The best route for hauling horses from Las Cruces is Hwy. 70 through Alamogordo north to Carrizozo and then to Capitan on US Hwy 380.  Proceed 4.5 miles East of Capitan on 380 to the Hwy 220 turnoff:  turn right and proceed to the parking area on the left side of the road (within the first mile).

June 5-8:  NATIONAL TRAILS DAY -- joint trail-clearing project with the Gila Chapter at Railroad Canyon.  We will camp at the upper Gallinas Campground and clear the trail beyond Holden Prong (Trail 114), as well as Sids Prong, (Trail 121), if time allows.

Directions:  Take I-25 and exit at the Hillsboro exit (Hwy 152), proceed over Emory Pass and down to the Upper Gallinas Campground, which is four or five miles down the mountain from Emory Pass.  It’s on the right (north) side of the road.  An alternate, easier route is to go to Deming, take 180 north, then 61 towards the City of Rocks and follow it to Hwy 152 and go east into the forest to the Upper Gallinas Campground (nine of ten miles from Hwy 61/152 jct.)  We will be making camp on Friday, so we don’t have to be there at any particular time -- call me if you want to caravan together -- 525-9334, Pat.

June 18:  LRGC Monthly Meeting, 6:30 PM, location TBA.

June 26 - 28:  Fort Stanton Trail Marking Project with Socorro Chapter, same as May 22-24.

July 10 - 12:  Celebration Camp, scouting trip for Rendezvous 09.

July 16:  LRGC Monthly Meeting, 6:30 pm, location TBA.

July 18:  Soledad Canyon Patrol

July 25:  BCHNM BOARD MEETING, Kiva RV park, Bernardo, 12:00 lunch, 1:00 meeting.

CLASSIFIEDS

Group Riding Lessons at Shining Heart Farm, Radium Springs.  Train for the trail with Pat Buls, the Gentle Tamer.  Lots of arena obstacles, and miles of trails to ride -- we practice all sorts of skill-building exercises both in the arena and on the trail.  Call me at 525-9334.

Online Calendar for members:  http//www.familytimeplanner.com/LRGBCH1

Information on the Rio Grande Trail:

http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/emnrd/parksPRD/riograndeconcept.htm

For up-to-date info on National Forests and BLM areas, go to http://www.nmfireinfo.com or http://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/information/firerestrictions/nm/restrictions_nm.htm.

See also www.nationalforests.org, www.nationalforeststore.com, www.recreation.gov

Visit your New Mexico Horse Council website: www.nmhorsecouncil.org

For the latest on animal cruelty:  www.amillionhorses.com

Don’t forget to order your horse supplies online from COUNTRY SUPPLY at http://www.countrysupply.com and enter the Country Care Code:  BCHLRGC

Five percent of your purchase will be contributed to our club.

For some interesting developments on micro-chipping:

http://arkansasanimalproducers.8k.com/whats_new_54.html

For some interesting info on the barefoot horse:

http://www.hoofrehab.com/index.htm

For some very interesting info on feeding the horse:

www.safergrass.org

The web homepage of the New Mexico DOT BPE program has been updated,
now that our new BPE Coordinator Tom Trowbridge is in the saddle.
http://www.nmshtd.state.nm.us/main.asp?secid=11190

For info on how to GEOCACHE check out the official website:  http://www.geocaching.com/

  • [TREQ-NM] May LRGC BCH Newsletter, GENTLETAMER1, 05/03/2009