treq-nm - [TREQ-NM] Manure on trails

treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Trail building equestrians of New Mexico

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith AT att.net>
  • To: treq-nm AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [TREQ-NM] Manure on trails
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:01:56 -0700

The February newsletter from the Lower Rio Grande Chapter of BCH NM,
distributed via TREQ-NM today, mentions a small interaction with a
mountain bike rider concerning manure on the trail near a trailhead.

My take on this issue is divided. I should mention that for 20 years
I commuted to school and work on a bicycle, and I have ridden my bike
over fresh manure. Not only is it unpleasant to have my back sprayed
with bits of manure, but due to its stickiness I get sprayed in front
too. On rock or pavement, it can also make a very slippery slick. But
the greatest concern by far is that fresh manure sometimes fouls the
bike's brakes to the point that they no longer work. This can put the
bike rider's life at risk. Having learned this from hard experience,
I try at all costs never to ride through manure. As horse riders here
in sunny New Mexico all know, it looks fresh only a few minutes before
the exterior dries and turns brown. Old manure is no danger to bike
riders but any manure that is still intact merits caution because it
might not be old.

Mountain bike riders often assume everyone knows this, which explains
much of their hostility toward horse riders. Mountain bike riders may
assume horse riders know this and leave manure on the trail *anyway*.

Many trail users would prefer that no one ever travel off trails, to
limit human impact on the environment. I belong to an orienteering
club that not only encourages but trains people to navigate on foot
cross-country, off trails. We get grief from several quarters about
going off trails. Many trail users want horse riders to stay on the
trails but not leave manure there.

I make a point of noticing when my horse poops on a ride, on or off
trails. The frequency, quantity, and consistency of manure tells me
if she is properly hydrated and has normal gut function.

Trails near a trailhead merit extraordinary care, and I will dismount
and kick or scrape the manure off the trail. I also remove manure
from the trailhead. I do not clean the trailer at the trailhead; I
clean the trailhead at the trailer.

Horses are prohibited from trails in certain ecologically sensitive
areas due to concerns about introduction of foreign seeds, especially
weed seeds. This has been an issue with the Valles Caldera National
Preserve, where prior to one visit I was asked to not only feed my
horse seed free (not just weed free) feed for 3 days beforehand, and
to drive my vehicle and trailer through a carwash.

If the trail riding community wants to use trails in highly protected
areas, we may have to show that we are prepared to pack out our horses'
manure, just as in some places dog owners are expected to carry out
their dogs' feces. On some trails in the eastern USA, and in parts
of Europe, leave no trace advocates encourage also carrying out human
feces. I have hiked trails in Europe, prior to the leave no trace
movement, where the trail passed through stinking fields of shit and
used toilet paper. I hope never to see or smell their like here in
beautiful New Mexico.

Just my 2 cents, and then some...

Una