stayfree - Stay Free presents: Ad Nauseam

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: carrie mclaren <stayfreemagazine AT gmail.com>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free presents: Ad Nauseam
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:43:48 -0400

It's been a while since you've heard from us but after two years, Stay Free finally has a book coming out on June 23: _Ad Nauseam: A Survivor's Guide to American Consumer Culture_.

I've copied what our publisher (Farrar, Straus & Giroux) says about it below because after 2 years I can no longer think of anything original to say about it. Except that Amazon is selling it for $12.54 (bargain!):
http://www.amazon.com/Ad-Nauseam-Survivors-American-Consumer/dp/0865479879

Or you could buy it from us for $18 (including postage in the USA):
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/order.html

* * * * *

AD NAUSEAM
A Survivor's Guide to American Consumer Culture

With the style and irreverence of Vice magazine and the critique of the corporatocracy that made Naomi Klein's No Logo a global hit, the cult magazine Stay Free!—long considered the Adbusters of the United States—is finally offering a compendium of new and previously published material on the impact of consumer culture on our lives. The book questions, in the broadest sense, what happens to human beings when their brains are constantly assaulted by advertising and corporate messages. Most people assert that advertising is easily ignored and doesn't have any effect on them or their decision making, but Ad Nauseam shows that consumer pop culture does take its toll.

In an engaging, accessible, and graphically appealing style, Carrie McLaren and Jason Torchinsky (as well as contributors such as David Cross, The Onion's Joe Garden, The New York Times's Julie Scelfo, and others) discuss everything from why the TV program CSI affects jury selection, to the methods by which market researchers stalk shoppers, to how advertising strategy is like dog training. The result is an entertaining and eye-opening account of the many ways consumer culture continues to pervade and transform American life.

* * *

"In his opening salvo in the mental war against the paradoxes of late capitalism, George W. S. Trow proposed a motto: 'Wounded by the Million; Healed—One by One.' What the editors of Stay Free! set up inside the brilliant framework of their magazine is an arena where writers can roll up their sleeves and get cheerfully to work at shrugging off the succubus of commercial culture—for their own sakes, and for all our sakes. This book is a treasury of Trow's kind of healing." —Jonathan Lethem, author of The Fortress of Solitude

* * *

"There's no better way for you to avoid the pitfalls of our sinister consumer culture than by buying this book. Purchase it now. And make sure to browse the store's wide selection of novelty bookmarks." —Patton Oswalt, actor and comedian

* * *

"Equal parts damning and delightful, Ad Nauseam is a guide for every shell-shocked consumer besieged by American commodity culture, a battleground where the greatest danger is thinking you're smarter than an ad."
-- Ben Popken, Consumerist.com

* * *

"As a longtime critic of advertising, I welcome this collection of smart and sassy, illuminating and entertaining essays. This book is a must for anyone concerned about the increasingly pervasive and pernicious impact of the consumer culture on our lives and our world."
-- Jean Kilbourne, author of Can't Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel and Killing Us Softly

* * *

Carrie McLaren founded Stay Free! in 1993. A longtime blogger, she speaks regularly on the topic of advertising and media. Jason Torchinsky is a writer for the Onion News Network; he's based in Los Angeles.

  • Stay Free presents: Ad Nauseam, carrie mclaren, 06/16/2009