stayfree - Stay F---! | June 28

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | June 28
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:27:47 -0400

NO, I'M HAPPY TO SEE YOU
Posted by Charles Star

Newsweek reports that, taking a page from the Wonderbra, manufacturers are designing men's underwear to give more lift (but presumably not to separate).

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/no_im_happy_to_.html

JUNK FOODS AGAINST OBESITY

When Armageddon comes, fast food clowns will dress up as fitness instructors and cola companies will write nutrition guidelines for schools... Oh wait, they already are, at least judging from this new batch of corporate "health" websites.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/coke_junk.html

NEW FROM STAY FREE! MAGAZINE

An Interview with Flavor Makers. What's it like on the frontlines of food chemistry? A couple of former factory workers talk about non-blueberry blueberries, the dangers of peppermint oil, and why you really, really don't want to spill the diacetyl. by Amy Balkin and James Harbison

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/23/flavor-chemists.html

IF ALBUM COVERS WERE ADVERTISEMENTS

After the unfortunate news spread that Nike has ripped off a Minor Threat album cover for a new ad campaign, some enterprising readers of I Love Music tried to imagine what other well-known album covers would look like if advertisers got a hold of them. There are loads of funny examples here so check 'em out.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/if_album_covers.html

CRITICAL MASS, JUNE
Posted by Matt Ransford

Mr. Ransford recounts the group's encounter with the police in June. Lots of discussion ensues.

http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/critical_mass_j.html

HOW DID THE DOCUMENTARY "MAD HOT BALLROOM" SURVIVE THE COPYRIGHT CARTEL?

Answer: by limiting music that played in classrooms, haggling over clearance fees, and cutting out a scene. The price tag for a cell-phone ringtone? $10,000.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/mad_hot_ballroo.html

See also the followup:
FAIR USE: USE IT OR LOSE IT
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/fair_use_use_it.html

ALAS, TOO LATE FOR THE GENIUS WHO CREATED "PUCK"
Posted by ja3

Big news hot off the wires, dateline Hollywood! The Writers Guild of America is organizing the writers and editors of reality TV. Yep, "writers of." Sorry to blow your mind.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/alas_too_late_f.html

UNDERGROUND ADVERTISING
Posted by Charles Star

When writer Jeff Johnson was taking the tube to Heathrow airport, he became the audience for British Airways' latest whispering campaign: "...two men stopped in my car and started talking about how one of them wasn't going to make his flight. The man insisted that he was going to make his flight because he'd checked-in online way before hand at BA.com. The conversation/argument went on for about a minute and a half before the BA.com stuff got out of hand and it turned out that the guys were actors paid to make us think about BA.com."

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/underground_adv.html

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND
Posted by Steve Lambert

In the midst of some research I stumbled across the website of The Center for Land Use Interpretation. Most interesting is their Land Use Database. Pick a state and it will show you "unusual and exemplary sites" catagorized by everything from cultural, to nuclear, to transporation, and more. Selections from California include an abandonded solar power plant, the now abandonded Ambassador Hotel, the world's largest parking lot, assorted military bases, power plants, mines, environmental disasters, and Jonnies Coffee Shop... I swear I can't stop looking at this.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/this_land_is_yo.html

DELETING PUBLIC SPACE

DeleteviennaCheck out this awesome public art project in Vienna, where Christoph Steinbrener and Rainer Dempf somehow managed to convince city officials and local businesses to cover all commercial signs and other advertisements for a two-week period.

http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/delete_vienna.html

RADAR LOVE

It's taken me a while to get to the new issue of Radar magazine, but I must say I'm impressed. The celebrity coverage isn't my bag, but there's a lot of really smart, biting reportage here: great articles about all the gay children of rabidly anti-gay politicos, the secret lives of Disney World workers, a psychopath who buddies up to celebrities, and brainless TV news anchors.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/radar_love.html

PRIVATE GROOMING
Posted by Charles Star

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy mainstreamed the metrosexual, but even the Fab Five couldn't have predicted that promoting daily showers and Kiehl's would lead to ads for balls-shaving gear. Remington and Philips have both created ads for their shave-everywhere products. The print ads are amusing, but Philips' flash animation came straight from my nightmares.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/shaving_nads.html

OVERDOSING THE ELDERLY

Following the news that orphaned babies are being treated with psychiatric drugs, a couple of medical journals report that people in nursing homes are increasingly dosed with antipsychotics. According to these studies (see CBC News and Archives of Internal Medicine), roughly 25% of all nursing home residents are given antipsychotics, often for no medical reason or benefit... and despite the fact that the drugs are linked to an "increased risk of death" among the elderly.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/overdosing_the_.html

Carrie McLaren
Editor, Stay Free!
(718) 398-9324

blog: http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org
magazine: http://www.stayfreemagazine.org
exhibit: http://www.illegal-art.org

  • Stay F---! | June 28, Carrie McLaren, 06/28/2005