stayfree - Stay F---! | June 14, 2005

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | June 14, 2005
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:33:20 -0400

Here are a few more recent highlights from our blog, Stay F---! Daily. For images, links, and complete text, visit http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org.

TEXTBOOK ADVERTISING

McGraw-Hill is offering corporations advertising space in its textbooks. Again.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/textbook_advert_1.html

IS DEODORANT THE NEW TOBACCO?

Remember the post about Procter & Gamble’s new deodorant spray targeting 7-year-old girls? The deodorant, Secret Sparkle, bears a warning: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. What a riot. The marketers at P&G apparently didn’t think twice about marketing something to children that they know to be unsafe, because when the Children’s Advertising Review Unit (a public relations tool for the ad industry with no actual regulatory power) raised a red flag, P&G’s spokesperson expressed surprise.
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/body_spray_kids.html

AN INQUIRY INTO THE EFFECTS OF PRESERVATIVES IN MCDONALD’S FOOD,
OR,
WHAT DOES THE FUNGUS KNOW THAT YOU DON’T?
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/mcdonalds_exper.html

AXING CORPORATE GRAFFITI

In Chicago, pretty much anyone has the right to remove graffiti from private property, thanks to a citywide initiative known as Give Graffiti the Brush. So last week, a trio of champions used the rule to their advantage and painted over a graffiti-style billboard for Axe, the perfume for boys.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/axing_corporate.html

JETS STADIUM GROUNDED
Posted by Charles Star

Sheldon Silver (Democrat and NY Assembly Speaker) and Joe Bruno (Republican and NY Senate Majority Leader), in light of the IOC report, have declined to provide state financing to build the Jets/”Olympic” stadium on the Hudson Yards. Unless they change their minds, the stadium plan (as currently structured) is dead.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/jets_stadium_gr.html

JUDGES TOSS OUT DUIS BECAUSE BREATHALYZERS’ SOURCE CODE IS SECRET

Via Boing Boing, we learn: “Florida judges are tossing out DUI cases when defendants ask to see the source code for the breathalyzers that busted them -- the manufacturers won’t turn over the source, and since the machine’s correct operation is critical to establishing the case against the DUIers, the case is dismissed when it can’t be produced.” Now if only they could find a way to apply this to voting machines.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/judges_toss_out.html

ISN’T THAT THE CUTEST LITTLE TERRORIST?
Posted by Charles Star

It is so hard, when crossing cultural lines to know whether something is intended as kitsch or not. Take the Osamaiana for sale in Southeast Asia.
Is the Osama bin laden doll a GI Joe for kids in the Middle East to play “terrorist training camp” (picture Osama sitting in the middle of the circle, lecturing about the inevitable realization of the will of Allah) or for lobbing fake grenades at bunkers filled with plastic army men?

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/isnt_that_the_c.html

BOOKSTORE PAYOLA

The New York Times has a story about bookstore payola and the fact that chains like Barnes & Noble and Borders determine their display space based on how much publishers are willing to pay them. Not that this is news to a crotchety zinester; the practice extends to the magazine racks as well, which is one reason pubs like mine end up shoved in the back (though certainly not the only one). And it also applies to the music biz. In fact, a label rep once told me that Tower makes more money from selling in-store display space and other co-promotions than from selling CDs themselves. I find that a little hard to believe, but if anyone has real, compelling numbers on this, I’d be glad to share them.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/bookstore_payol.html

YOU HEAR (STUFF ABOUT RADIO CONGLOMERATES) HERE FIRST
Posted by John Aboud

Stuart Elliott “In Advertising” e-column for the New York Times is consistently informative and, often, unintentionally hilarious. The chuckles come from two sources. First, Elliott’s style. He is a shameless pun user, and he takes giddy delight in chronicling campaigns he enjoys. A recent email, featuring a recap of some new 2(x)ist underwear ads, actually caused cold sweat and drool to puddle on my monitor. Calm down, Stu.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/you_hear_stuff_.html

HOW TV ONCE SOLD ITSELF

In that odd way that things seem to happen in the publishing world, two new art books out appear to be the same thing: collections of advertisements documenting the rise of television. TV Wonderland is barely worth mentioning. The ads are printed so small that you can’t read the text, and the authors’ commentary is close to pointless.

Window to the Future: The Golden Age of Television Marketing and Advertising is a different story. The author, Steve Kosareff, looks at the ads with a critical eye and offers some historical insight, but the ads themselves are the real draw.

Instead of doing a standard review, I thought I’d post some old TV ads -- some from Kosareff’s book, some not -- and share a few observations.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/how_tv_once_sol.html

INTERVIEW WITH STAY F----’s CARRIE McLAREN, ON GOTHAMIST:

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/06/07/ carrie_mclaren_editor_stay_free.php

POP WILL EAT ITSELF (AND THAT’S A GOOD THING)

This Wall Street Journal article about Asian pop music made me realize an obvious solution to the music industry’s downloading woes: abandon the assumption that pop music is anything other than advertising and dissolve the music biz into the ad biz. That’s essentially what has happened in Asia, where pop hits are commissioned by cell-phone makers and fast food chains.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/ad_songs.html

A LITTLE PRESENT IN BABY’S DIAPER
Posted by Charles Star

Marketers are going after pre-cognitive infants by using their sense of smell to fix positive affiliations with brands in their memories.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/06/a_little_presen.html

  • Stay F---! | June 14, 2005, Carrie McLaren, 06/13/2005