stayfree - Stay F---! | May 2

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay F---! | May 2
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:55:19 -0400

Howdy. Here are recent highlights from the Stay F---! blog. For images, links, full text and comments, visit http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org

DOES WATCHING TV MAKE YOU STUPID?

Or just stupid enough to buy Steven Johnson’s Gladwellian premise that “Watching TV Makes You Smarter”? Johnson’s entire argument, published in last week's New York Times Magazine, rests on the fact that TV programs have grown more complex over time. As evidence, he cites one of his favorite programs -- 24 -- which includes far more characters and intersecting storylines than old-school dramas like Bonanza...

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/05/steven_johnson_.html

THIS MONTH IN NEW YORK CITY CRITICAL MASS OR HOW MUCH DOES IT COST THE CITY TO RUN ONE OF THOSE POLICE COPTERS ALL NIGHT?
Posted by Matt Ransford

The cops here sure are getting all the mileage they can out of their RNC-funded, jacked-up mopeds. Have you seen these things? They’re hilarious. Tonight was my first critical mass ride since last summer, since before the Convention. I had no idea what a sad and intimidating mess it’s become this year because of the whole paranoid round-up in August. Nobody has been spared the “permit required” hatchet since Cheney, et al, came to town; especially not a bunch of goofs who just want to ride their bikes around without getting clobbered by SUVs and cabs, myself included.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/this_month_in_n.html

WHEN SATIRE BECOMES REDUNDANT
Posted by Charles Star

On the heels of Ted Nugent’s Yes Men-like performance at the NRA convention, the idea that you can mock capitalism by pretending to channel the essence of its most aggresive practitioners takes another hit. In this interview between CNBC’s Larry Kudlow and Steven Milloy of the Free Enterprise Action Fund, the notion that corporations have any responsibility to something larger than themselves is treated with the same disdain that people usually reserve for terrorism or the designated hitter....

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/i_thought_the_y.html

EUREKA
Posted by Charles Star

The latest issue of The New York Review of Books takes on Malcom Gladwell’s Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. I didn’t have to read the review. Just reading the title of the book was enough to tell me it was probably a smartly written but insufficiently supported exposition of a clearly erroneous premise....

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/eureka.html

(ILLEGAL) STAMP ART

Maybe you saw the announcement that Stamps.com is once again offering civilians the opportunity to make their own bona fide postage stamps. The new terms are so restrictive that pretty much anything you’d want to see on a stamp is forbidden, and gaming the system can set you up for a lawsuit. Some pranksters will no doubt try to subvert the Stamps.com policy anyway, but I’d say Michael Hernandez de Luna has a better approach: cut out the middle man. De Luna and other stamp artists have been creating satirical stamps and sending them through the mail for years. In fact, I just got one a few weeks ago on a postcard for a group show that de Luna curated, Axis of Evil: The Secret History of Sin.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/stamp_art.html

MOTHER JONES ON DRUGS

The current issue of Mother Jones has a couple of good articles. Those who remain unconvinced of the dangers of mental health screening should read Medicating Aliah, which uses the story of a 13-year-old Texas girl as a hook for a larger story about psychiatric screening.

Continued:
http://blog.stayfreemagazine.org/2005/04/mother_jones_on.html

  • Stay F---! | May 2, Carrie McLaren, 05/02/2005