stayfree - Stay Free! | 23 February 2004

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | 23 February 2004
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:34:35 -0500

Alas, I have updated the Stay Free! site with these items from the
psychology issue, #21:

BETTER LIVING THROUGH LOBOTOMY:
What can the history of psychosurgery tell us about medicine today?
Allison Miller interviews Elliot Valenstein
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/21/lobotomy.html

MORE THAN ONE WAY TO SKIN A CAT:
How did doctors perform lobotomies? Where did they cut, and with
what? Here are some of the most significant procedures.
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/21/lobotomy_sidebar.html

I AM NEVER LONELY:
A brief history of employee personality testing
by Ana Marie Cox
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/21/personality_testing.html

TESTMANIA!
Carrie McLaren surveys some of the more unusual personality tests
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/21/personality_sidebar.html

* * * UPCOMING SF! EVENTS IN NEW YORK * * *

NYC GRASSROOTS MEDIA CONFERENCE THIS WEEKEND

February 27-29 at the New School
http://www.nycgrassrootsmedia.org

The NYC Grassroots Media Conference will feature over 40 workshops
and panels conducted by more than 40 local organizations on topics
ranging from video production to puppet-making; from how to start
your own record label to practical ways that community media can help
fight environmental racism. The goals of the weekend-long event are
to promote awareness of the independent media in the city, to
strengthen and unify the city’s independent media community, and to
create strong bonds among community groups and local media makers.

The Stay Free! panel is on Sunday, Feb. 29, at 2:30 pm, and will
focus on using pranks and parody for social change. It'll feature:
Carrie Moyer and Sue Schaffner from Dyke Action Machine
(http://www.dykeactionmachine.com), who you may remember from the
Illegal Art Exhibit; Jonah Peretti (Nike sweatshop prankster and
co-creator of BlackPeopleLoveUs.com); The Yes Men
(http://www.theyesmen.org), whose projects include masquerading as
members of the WTO and promoting the benfits of slavery at world
trade conferences; and Andrew Boyd from Billionaires for Bush
(http://www.billionairesforbush.com). Stay Free! will also be tabling
throughout the conference so be sure to drop by and say hi.

::::::::::

LITTLE GREY BOOK LECTURE SERIES
Wednesday, March 3, 8 pm

As some of you know, in my other life I run Monkeywire (the #1 source
for news about primates) with my pal The Legendary Joe Garden. Joe
and I are among the speakers who will be addressing the topic of
ANIMALS on Wednesday night. As is our habit, we will be talking about
chimps.

Galapagos Art Space
70 North Sixth Street, bet. Kent and Wythe
L Train to Bedford Avenue
718-782-5188
www.galapagosartspace.com
<http://www.littlegraybooks.com/>www.littlegraybooks.com

  • Stay Free! | 23 February 2004, Carrie McLaren, 02/23/2004