stayfree - Stay Free! | June 30 2003

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | June 30 2003
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:25:16 +0800

Title: Stay Free! | June 30 2003
Hello,
We've got several things happening on the Stay Free! business front, so, at the risk of being boring, I'm going to get them all over with at once:

1. Stay Free high school media literacy curriculum
2. Illegal Art DVD
3. Ad rates for Stay Free #21
4. Another batch of anti-SUV postcards

STAY FREE HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA LITERACY CURRICULUM

Stay Free's media curriculum--including readings, discussion notes, and Powerpoint slide shows--is now online at:
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/ml
Teachers out there who want to use these lessons or change/adapt them for their own needs are certainly welcome to do so. I taught a 12th grade class ("Mass Media & Consumer Culture") this year at the Berkeley Carroll School here in Brooklyn, and this course is based on that. As Channel One, AOL-Time Warner, and other big media companies are increasingly sponsoring media education, I wanted to provide an example of what a non-corporate curriculum might look like. At some point, I hope to post more info about my philosophy on media literacy but, for now, this should do.

ILLEGAL ART DVD

In time for the Illegal Art Exhibit opening in San Francisco this week we're putting together a special DVD with some of the film & video shorts featured in the show. Namely:

Keith Sanborn, The Artwork in the Age...
Brian Boyce, State of the Union
Michael Colton, Puppy Love
Michal Levy, Giant Steps
Tim Maloney with Negativland, Gimme the Mermaid
Paul Harvey Oswald, Natural Thing
Brian Spinks, Bill Wasik & Eugene Mirman, Black Thunder
Eric Fensler, GI Joe PSAs
D. Jean Hester, Buy Me
Eileen Maxson, Untitled
Joe Gibbons, Barbie's Audition

(Most of these can be viewed online at http://www.illegal-art.org )

We're making a very limited number of the DVDs (100 or so) to give away as premiums to people who make donations of $30 or more to Stay Free/Illegal Art. If you'd like a DVD, you can either donate by credit card or check:

Credit card / Paypal:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=carrie%40illegal-art.org&item_name=Illegal+Art+donations&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

Check or money order:
Stay Free, 390 Butler Street, 3rd floor, Brooklyn NY 11217

AD RATES FOR STAY FREE #21
We're currently working on the psychology issue, due out in late August for subscribers and in September for everyone else. If you know of any publishers, record labels, small businesses, etc. who might be interested in advertising, please pass this info along...

Reservations: July 18
Art due: August 1
Street date: September 12

Rates and specs for independent companies:
(big companies pay twice the price)

1/4 page 3.375" x 4.5" - $75
1/2 page horz. 6.875" x 4.5" - $145
1/2 page vert.  3.375" x 9.5" - $145
Full page 6.875" x 9.5" - $290

Print run: 9,500 (at least)

Contact Carrie at stay.free AT verizon.net or 718 398 9324 for details

ANOTHER BATCH OF ANTI-SUV POSTCARDS

I recently reprinted our anti-SUV postcards and, of course, we had to get a trillion made.... so now they're blocking the hallway. So if any of you have any need for piles of anti-SUV postcards, let me know! I'll sell 100 for $25, including postage, which is more or less at cost.

Postcard example:
http://stayfreemagazine.org/design/print/suv.jpg

Credit card / Paypal:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=carrie%40illegal-art.org&item_name=Illegal+Art+donations&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

Check or money order:
Stay Free, 390 Butler Street, 3rd floor, Brooklyn NY 11217

Have you received this message twice?
If so, scroll down to the bottom of this page and unsubscribe. You will be removed from this list but will remain on Stay Free's other (paid) list: