stayfree - Stay Free! | Illegal Art - San Francisco

stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Free, promotional email list for Stay Free! print magazine

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: stayfree AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stay Free! | Illegal Art - San Francisco
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:58:24 -0500

Hey you all, just want to give you a heads up. Illegal Art, Stay Free!'s copyright-busting art exhibit, will be in San Francisco July 2 - 25. We've added some new artists this go 'round: DAVID BYRNE, TOM SACHS, ENRIQUE CHAGOYA, and LAURA SPLAN.

Also, the film screenings now include the excellent documentary WILLFUL INFRINGEMENT, a primer on copyright violation featuring Negativland, Public Enemy, Lawrence Lessig, the (fake) Rolling Stones, and more:
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/sf.html
http://www.willfulinfringement.com

I'm flying out for the opening on July 2nd so I hope to see some of you there!

Details, details:

SFMOMA Artist Gallery, July 2 to 25 (Fort Mason, Building A).
Reception: Wednesday, July 2nd, 5:30 to 7:30 pm. With DJ Bridle (Wobbly) and Mr. Merides
Gallery hours: Tuesdays through Saturdays 11:30 am to 5:30 pm.

Panel Discussion:

Thursday, July 3, from 6 to 8pm. With Lawrence Lessig (Stanford Law Professor), Carrie McLaren, (Stay Free! magazine), Kembrew McLeod (artist and University of Iowa professor), Rick Prelinger (Prelinger Archives), Simon Frankel (lawyer, Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin), and Marcia Tanner (moderator). At San Francisco Art Institute, Lecture Hall, 800 Chestnut Street. 415.771.7020

Film screenings:

Wednesday, July 23 and Thursday, July 24. Roxie Cinema (3117 16th St., at corner of Valencia Street). Tickets available at the door for $8 general, $4 seniors and children. Schedule is online at:
http://www.illegal-art.org/video/sf.html

Music performance I:

Evolution Control Committee (tentative)
Michael Gendreu (from Crawling with Tarts)
RAJAR
Wednesday, July 9, 8 p.m.
21 Grand, 449B 23rd Street (between Broadway and Telegraph) in Oakland
Sliding scale donation of $5-$10 at the door

Music performance II:

Wetgate, Wobbly, Steev Hise, Mr. Meridies
Wednesday, July 16, 8 p.m.
A LOFT, 25A McLea Court (off 9th Street), San Francisco
Sliding scale donation of $5-$10 at the door

A PLEA FOR CASH

We are eagerly seeking donations to help pull this off. Anything you can contribute would be very much appreciated. With luck, we will be able to bring Illegal Art into other cities:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=carrie%40illegal-art.org&item_name=Illegal+Art+donations&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD

  • Stay Free! | Illegal Art - San Francisco, Carrie McLaren, 06/20/2003