sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] chrooting/NFS-ing SMGL install

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] chrooting/NFS-ing SMGL install
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 02:07:41 +0200

Am Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:37:31 -0700
schrieb Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:

> We have two documents which cover this:
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/install_using_chroot_and_rsync and
> http://wiki.sourcemage.org/install_using_chroot. Keep in mind that
> neither of these methods are "officially" supported, but people have
> installed using them.

I just did an install on a server that I can only reach via ssh (and the
possibility to run a net-booted rescue system via web frontend). I tried
starting with an ISO like outlined on these resources, but that didn't work
out (not totally sure why exactly).
Then I spotted a nice small chroot tarball right besides the isos for x86,
extracted that one on my to-be root partition, did the mount --rbind /dev and
proc / sysfs mounts, copied /etc/resolv.conf, made /var/spool/sorcery a
directory (for some reason it wasn't).
Then after chrooting into it, I could start updating and customizing this
system (scribe add stable-rc, cast smgl-archspecs, sorcery (configure),
sorcery -u, sorcery -r ...).
Installing a kernel and bootloader ... and done, basically.

I didn't see a similar chroot tarball for ppc but I guess it would be no big
deal for an existing ppc users to provide one.
The benefits of using the iso image for chrooting are questioned when not
actually booting from it. You have to be careful that the install script
doesn't trigger a reboot itself, for example.
Also, in my case, I put the iso file onto the very same partition that should
become root of the new smgl system. One has to be careful with the disk setup
of the installer in that case...

At last, there is another possibility: Install sorcery in your debian system
and start casting a chroot and future root filesystem, like I started to
describe in

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/PossessGuide

But that method is probably the most difficult and is most likely not the
best one for a newbie to start with (since there can be effects with your
host system).
So I mentioned it just for completeness...

If you have the iso image on a source different from your root partition and
just watch out for the reboot trigger, that method is the one to do, I
presume.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.