sm-users - [SM-Users] Problems compiling X Windows

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Benjamin Handelman <iarann AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Problems compiling X Windows
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:03:04 -0800

While I have years of experience administering Windows and Solaris 8, please bear with me because my experience in linux and with GCC is still very rudimentary.  I just started using smgl a few days ago.  I got the kernel to compile without any problems using only a couple of special flags (basically just my processor type and making my network card drivers a static part of the kernel instead of a module).  When I got the system booted the first thing I did was tried to compile X.org so I could have fluxbox and firefox while I compiled the rest of the system.  Everything seemed to be going fine for an our an a half, when all of the sudden it error'ed out saying it couldn't compile.  I then had the same problem with the CVS version (I had started with 6.8.2), XFree86 both 4.3 branch and 4.5, and xdirectfb CVS version.  I then decided to recompile the tools binutils, gcc, g++, gettext, but got the same error with glibc.  I can compile some other programs, like lynx and naim, and everything else seems to work fine.  I've been combing through FAQ's and HOWTO's for a while now and have come up pretty empty.  Is there something simple I'm missing to get this to work?  I couldn't really tell you what the problem is, checking the log it just says Error 2 then leaves a bunch of directories, but I can post the latter part of it if that helps things.  A couple steps I've tried already are running cleanse --fix to repair any broken installs and removing optimization flags from the compiler to see if any of those were causing the issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Benjamin Handelman