sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] joystick problem - help!

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: John Harding <johnh AT kuberaconsulting.com>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] joystick problem - help!
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:21:15 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:

Quoting John Harding <johnh AT kuberaconsulting.com>:

Hi all,

This has been a long term problem for me: Getting my Logitech Wingman
Extreme Digital 3D joystick to work with my als4000 based sound card on
linux.

The bottom line can be summarized: I don't have a functioning joystick
on this box with linux, but when Windows 98 or 2000 is installed on this
box with all the same hardware, the joystick works perfectly. Since
windows otherwise sucks, I want this to run on linux. Side note: alsa list hasn't been helpful.

I'm using 2.6.12-rc4-mm2 which has alsa 1.0.9rc3, I'm using devel
sorcery and test grimoire, if that matters. I load modules for als4000,
gameport, joydev, ns558, and adi (the Logitech digital joystick driver).
I'm not sure if ns558 is needed because this is a digital joystick.

I set "options snd-als4000 joystick_port=1" (without quotes) in
modprobe.conf to turn on the als4000 joystick/gameport.

<snip>

Have you tried KDE or a game that has joystick configuration tools? I
haven't used a joystick since 1998 with Wing Commander IV. ;)

-sandalle

Snip?! Did you find my post a bit long? ;) The problem is not at the joystick level yet, it's at the drivers level. I think that something is wrong with how I have driver dependencies set up (I don't really know what I'm doing with those). When I manually create /dev/input/js0 and then cat it, nothing shows up. In fact when I create the thing it says that no such device exists. This leads me to believe that something about how I'm loading the modules is wrong and I think the output I copied into the original email demonstrates that, but I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done.

John