sm-users - [SM-Users] password problems

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Kevin Augenstein <kevin.augenstein AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] password problems
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:22:58 +1000

I have a question it might be just general Linux and not sourcemage
specific. Anyway, recently I installed source mage from an iso
(approximately a week ago). Yesterday I was using sorcery to get some
new pages when my power was cut off, now I can't log back on as root
(the only account available at the moment as I'm still setting up the
machine), it just gives password denied or the usual error message. I
was pretty sure I hadn't forgotten the password as it's the same one
I've used daily for numerous years and had logged in many times to
this machine using it. But anyway I booted on a rescue cd then did the
following to try and change my password

mkdir /tmp/rescue
mount /dev/hda2 /tmp/rescue
chroot /tmp/rescue passwd

and typed in another password. I checked the passwd file had changed
and rebooted. It still doesn't work. Does anyone know what my of
caused this (is it possible sorcery was in the middle of updating
something critical to checking passwords?) and more importantly does
anyone know how to fix it.

Thanks,
Kevin.

  • [SM-Users] password problems, Kevin Augenstein, 04/29/2005