sm-users - [SM-Users] network problems on a pcmcia network card

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Nils Turner <nils AT chara-array.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] network problems on a pcmcia network card
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:26:47 -0000

I have installed sourcemage 0.9.3 on a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop. The
laptop does not have on-board ethernet, so I get the ethernet through a
PCMCIA card (Netgear FA410TX, under Red Hat 7.1 it uses the pcnet_cs
module), getting its network settings through DHCP. When the computer
starts, ``ifconfig'' only shows lo. When I run ``telinit run network
status'', the computer replies back:

network: dhcpcd is not running
eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Running ``netconf'' shows the device. Running ``dhcpcd eth0'' exits
without error, but doesn't help in getting the network going.

What am I missing here?

--
Nils Turner
The CHARA Array, Mount Wilson

``Employers don't hire people without degrees -- buy yours today!''

  • [SM-Users] network problems on a pcmcia network card, Nils Turner, 02/18/2005