sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] help-can't get network working in new install

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] help-can't get network working in new install
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 06:09:23 -0700

On Saturday 09 October 2004 5:40 am, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> ok, the latest update.
> I ws able to figure out that I DID NOT change the bios boot sequence. after
> re-installing SM 4 times, I am REAL CLOSE:)
> I am able to boot up and run SM in console mode, so I got it to install,
> and I can boot from it, and change back & forth between XP/SUSE/SM.
> still have a configuration issue, I cannot connect to the internet, so I
> was getting errors when I tried to download spells to update the config.
>
> when I installed it I told it eth0 as the network device, that must not be
> right, but I can't figure out what IS right. I'm looking in my SUSE config,
> and I don't get it.. I tried netstat -a and it scrolls a bunch of lines,
> but I don't see my device, or I don't recognize it.
> YAST says I have a Davicom 21x4x DEC-Tulipcompatible 10/100 Ethernet
> configured with DHCP. what do I tell the SM install to use??
>
> ( sorry if I sent this twice, I am not sure I have the Kmail sendmail setup
> correctly either)

Look in the directory /lib/modules/2.6.5/kernel/drivers/net/ (the "2.6.5"
part
may be a different number, but I'm betting not) for a module with the name
tulip or something that might suggest a DEC tulip generic module. (I don't
have it installed or I'd give the exact name.) Write down the name.

Run netconf and add a new network device (unless you have already done this
and you have an eth0 there, which you should then edit). Press ENTER on the
MODULE item and select "Enter a module name". In the next box type in that
name of the module you have written down (minus the '.ko' part). Configure
the rest of the network options normally. Make sure you save the changes
before exiting and try running "ifup eth0".

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)