sm-users - [SM-Users] firefox/mozilla

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Bas van Gils <Bas.vanGils AT cs.kun.nl>
  • To: SM Users-list <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Users] firefox/mozilla
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:42:28 +0100

Hi all,

some of you (especially the ppl hanging out on IRC) probably have noticed
already that I've been batteling with mozilla/firefox. Problems I've had :

- encoding is borked pretty much in firefox... no matter waht I try I keep
getting 0096-glyphs and stuff. mozilla does a little better, most of the
time

- printing is borked in mozilla. Trying to send it to the spool => works fine.
Spooling it to the printer, also no problem. the printer just drops it
though and refuses to print anything. Also, sometimes pdq (the print system
i use) comes up with the message that the printer doesn't know what to do
with the input it received. Kind of vague IMO.

Since browser is pretty essential for me, I decided to give a binary firefox a
try. Works like a charm! Only thing is that for some reason cast --fix thinks
that j2sdk-bin is borked (libxpcom.so not found).

Anyway, I'm happy to report that I have found a "workaround" and since I guess
there might be other ppl with the same kind of problems....

- dispell firefox / mozilla
- clean out their respective directories in /usr/lib
- download the firefox binary, unpack it in /opt
- make a softlink in /usr/lib to the newly created dir in /opt
- make sure this dir is also in /etc/ld.so.conf
- re-cast the spells for your plugins (e.g. flash and j2sdk-bin)
- run cast --fix

This worked like a charm for me. It's not elegant and from time to time I'll
try to recompile firefox again and see if problems are fixed. But untill then
this is a workable situation!

Hope this helps someone :-)

Cheers!

Bas

--
drs. Bas van Gils <Bas.vanGils AT cs.kun.nl> | /(bb|[^b]{2})/
http://www.cs.kun.nl/~basvg | that's the question