sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] environment variables and preloads

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: Sourcemage Users List <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] environment variables and preloads
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 19:11:06 +0100

On 06/12/03 23.18, Andrew wrote:
> I also like this idea. Since we seem to be all for the foo.d expansion,
> are there any other places we ought to do this? we already have pam.d
> and xinetd.d (and possibly apache?) are there any others that we could
> do this with while we are at it?

Having long used a system based on this idea (multi-arch unix install
at university), I'd like to add a few wishes:

Where possible also check for and source ~/.<config-file>.d

Userlevel config would of cause be empty, but it might be nice to
add the dir to /etc/skel.

xinitrc, emacs, and some windowmanagers (fvwm for one may be setup
using sourced config files) are other good places to look
(especially if userlevel config is sourced).

Possibly add a dir for config files users might like to use, but
which should not be system defaults.

It would also be possible to have init scripts construct config files
for stuff that does not have the capability internally, but I'm not
sure if this would be a good idea, it would need some thinking to
avoid making the system hard to understand.

But as far as stuff that can include/source/etc. files matching a
wildcard, this is a great idea for the default config files, since
sorcery can add and remove config without conflicting with the config
I add or remove.

While I'm not currently rich on time, I'd be happy to provide some
examples of config code that uses this consept.

/dossen