sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] init-update

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: SM Users-list <sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] init-update
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:15:23 +0200

On 24/08/03 12.13, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Bas van Gils <bas.vangils AT cs.kun.nl>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been reading up on the new init-system (read the howto and the
> > discussions on the mailinglists) and think I finally understand it,
> > except
> > for
> > 1 thing in the howto. That is, I'm not really sure so just to be on the
> > safe
> > side I'd better ask here first:
> >
> > Open /etc/inittab in a text editor and change the device paths used
> > by
> > agetty to use the /dev file system instead of /devices
[snip inittab listings]
> > Is this correct?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Bas
>
> Yes, though casting init.d will take care of this for you (if you tell it
> to),
> and a symlink is made from /devices -> /dev anyways, so it /may/ not be
> necessary.

You are correct that the init.d spell takes care of it. But while I
believe using the /dev/ttyN devices will work (since they are symlinks
to /dev/vc/N), the init.d spell produces this setup:

tty1:linux:/sbin/agetty /dev/vc/1 9600
tty2:linux:/sbin/agetty /dev/vc/2 9600
tty3:linux:/sbin/agetty /dev/vc/3 9600
tty4:linux:/sbin/agetty /dev/vc/4 9600
tty5:linux:/sbin/agetty /dev/vc/5 9600
tty6:linux:/sbin/agetty /dev/vc/6 9600

/dossen
--
"Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
-- Karl Lehenbauer