sm-users - [SM-Users] Help please - /usr is gone

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Jose Bernardo Silva" <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Users] Help please - /usr is gone
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:33:19 +0000

Hi!

This morning, just before leaving to work, I decided to check if just updating
the version number was enough to get netscape 7.1 to cast. I did that, did a
"cast -c netscape" and left it running, after answering y to all prompts. When
I came back after breakfast, I found that lockexec was missing and pause was a
unknown command. a ctrl-c broke me out of that loop, but only to find my usr
dir is missing. Assuming hd corruption, or something, I did a immediate reboot
into knoppix, only to find the hd / partition checked fine, and yes, /usr is
no longer there. Now, I have the latest iso downloading at home, and will
probably reinstall tonight, but I wonder if there is a tool that lets me walk
thru the transactions list in ext3 and do a rollback?
I still have to find what happened, but if I could access the ext3 log in a
human readable way, maybe I'd have some luck...

Thanks!

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
jbernardo AT sourcemage.org | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com

  • [SM-Users] Help please - /usr is gone, Jose Bernardo Silva, 07/03/2003